Headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio, The Illuminating Company provides electricity transmission and distribution to the northeast Ohio region. The Illuminating Company is owned and operated by FirstEnergy Corp (NYSE: FE), one of the nation’s largest electricity operators with 6,000,000 customers. FirstEnergy is headquartered in Akron, Ohio. Consumers in The Illuminating Company area can choose a Certified Retail Electricity Supplier (CRES) for their electricity supply.
Areas Served By The Illuminating Company
The Illuminating Company serves an area of northeast Ohio along Lake Erie. Cities served includes Cleveland and surrounding suburbs, Mentor, Painesville, Grand River, Perry, Ashtabula, Madison, Geneva, Edgewood, and Conneaut.
The Illuminating Company Price to Compare
Effective June 1 2023, The Illuminating Company’s residential ‘Price to Compare’ is 12.4¢/kWh.
This is the rate you will pay for electric generation if you do not switch to an alternative electricity supplier. Refer to your most recent Illuminating Company utility bill to confirm your specific price to compare when shopping for an electricity supplier.
Remember, the price to compare changes periodically. By locking in a fixed rate with an alternative supplier, you get price protection.
Best Cleveland Illuminating Company Certified Retail Electric Supplier Rates
|Public Power Electric 15 Month Fixed||15||6.39 ¢|
|Direct Energy Live Brighter 13||13||6.49 ¢|
|Public Power Electric 12 Month Fixed||12||6.69 ¢|
|Public Power Electric 18 Month Fixed||18||6.79 ¢|
|Energy Harbor Safe Harbor 14||14||6.89 ¢|
|Santanna Energy Services Preferred 12 Month||12||6.94 ¢|
|Energy Harbor Safe Harbor 24||24||7.09 ¢|
|Direct Energy Live Brighter 12||12||7.29 ¢|
|Direct Energy Live Brighter 18||18||7.29 ¢|
|Energy Harbor Safe Harbor 36||36||7.29 ¢|
Shop Cleveland Illuminating Company Energy Rates Near You
>>Shop Ohio Natural Gas
The Illuminating Company History
Founded in 1892 as the Cleveland General Electric Co., The Illuminating Company was known as Cleveland Electric Illuminating (CEI) for over 100 years and was well known for their ad campaign that touted Cleveland as “the best location in the nation.” In 1967, CEI became a charter member of the Central Area Power Coordination Group (CAPCO) with other local utilities to pool financial resources to construct electricity generating facilities. CEI merged with Toledo Edison in 1986 to form Centerior in response to the high energy prices. In 1997, Centerior combined with Ohio Edison and other affiliated companies to form FirstEnergy.
The Illuminating Company Awards and Recognition
The Illuminating Company’s parent, FirstEnergy, is well recognized for its emergency assistance, supplier diversity, online presence, and economic development. Awards include:
- Forbes: Forbes 400 Best Big Companies and America’s Best Employers
- Edison Electric Institute: Emergency Assistance Award — 2008-2015 and Outstanding Customer Service — 2014
- Nuclear Energy Institute — Top Industry Practice Award — 2007-2012
- J.D. Power — Top performer in Utility Website Evaluation Study and mobile-optimized website and app
Electricity outages happen, but you don’t have to be left in the dark when they do. The Illuminating Company as a part of FirstEnergy has an extensive list of customer support services, a full-featured outage tracking and reporting system, and other features that customers appreciate. These include:
- Personal outage information. It doesn’t always take a big storm to cause an electrical outage, but it can still take time to get that outage fixed if the problem is a complicated one. Your online account with Illuminating Co. will keep you posted on the status of your personal outage, as well as when the line workers believe the electric outage will be resolved. Their online outage tracker also shows real-time information regarding outages.
- Storm preparation tips. Cleveland isn’t without its share of winter storms, but you don’t have to prepare for the next blizzard alone. FirstEnergy and the Illuminating Co. has designed a virtual storm center that includes storm preparation tips, information on their electricity restoration process and how to report an outage even if you don’t have access to the Internet.
- Severe weather alerts. If the weather looks threatening, Illuminating Co will let you know. All you have to do is sign up for email or text messages and you’ll be ahead of the storm, as well as the storm recovery once the wind stops blowing.
Be in the know with your Ohio utility. All electric utilities experience downtimes, but knowing what’s going on and how much longer the power will be out can make the waiting a lot easier for the electricity customer. The Illuminating Company has proven that it makes customer communications a top priority.
Reference: Matt Sisson, “Cleveland Electric Illuminating Co.,” Cleveland Historical, accessed November 4, 2016, https://clevelandhistorical.org/items/show/20