If you’re wondering how to shop for business electricity supply in Illinois, you’re in the right place. We’ll help you learn how to plug in to Illinois electricity choice, how to compare IL business electricity rates and plans and the benefits of switching.
Whether you are a small, medium or large company, you could lower your electricity cost by switching your business electricity supply. Plus you’ll benefit from a fixed rate that helps you budget effectively.
Who’s Who and What’s What of Energy Choice in Illinois
Electricity energy choice has been in Illinois since 1997. And, nearly 75% of all commercial and industrial customers in Illinois have selected an alternative retail electric supplier.
But it you aren’t familiar with it, here is some of the basic vocabulary of electricity choice in Illinois.
- ICC — The Illinois Commerce Commission. This government agency oversees rate setting for your utility, the Price to Compare (or SSO) and delivery rates. They also protect consumer interests.
- RES — Retail Electric Supplier. The ICC reviews and licences electric suppliers in Illinois. You can get your electricity supply from your utility, o y supply.
- BES — B
- EDS – electric distribution service
- EGS – electric generation service
- PTC or Price to Compare — If you don’t switch to a RES, you are served by your local utility under the Price to Compare. The PTC is the price of Basic Electric Service or Basic Generation Service plus the Purchased Electricity Adjustment Factor and the Purchased Electricity Charge (or Credit) plus the Transmission Service Charge.
- Fixed Rate — a fixed rate contract is just that, a fixed electricity supply rate for the term of your contract. During the term of your agreement, your price won’t change.
How to Choose A Business Electricity Supplier in Illinois
Now on to the main event. How to choose a commercial electricity supplier in Illinois.
For residential electricity in Illinois, you can shop the Illinois Commerce Commission’s Plug in Illinois state-sponsored shopping site. On this site, you’ll find offers from multiple suppliers and you can easily compare vs. the price to compare for your utility.
For business electricity in Illinois, it’s not as easy.
You could find a list of commercial electricity suppliers online, and call each one to receive a quote. Then read each of their contracts, looking out for the fine print. Once you’ve picked a provider, you’ll need to request an updated energy price (because energy prices change constantly.) After you execute your electricity contract, you’ll want to mark your calendar to review options again 2 months before your contract expires.
We simplify business electricity shopping and handle it for you.
- We’ve teamed with a large national broker to offer you superior service and access to multiple suppliers.
- Your energy advisor will talk to you to understand your electricity usage and current contract terms.
- We’ll work to understand any future growth plans that may impact your electricity usage.
- Then we’ll work with the utility to get a copy of your historical electricity usage and start shopping commercial electricity options for you.
- We’ll present you with multiple options for your electricity supply.
- And once you’ve picked a commercial electricity supplier, we’ll stay in touch to manage your renewal.
What are the Benefits of IL Business Electricity Choice?
The benefits of choosing an energy supplier in Illinois include:
- Savings — You could lower your monthly bill by locking in a rate below the utility price to compare.
- Security — You get budget certainty for your business, instead of a constantly changing utility rate that you can’t control.
- Options —Select from green energy plans or pick a short or long term fixed rate plan.
You get these benefits of IL electricity choice with no change to the reliability of your electricity service.
Will I Save Money vs. The Price to Compare?
The price to compare is different for each consumer and is impacted by your rate class and demand level.
Whether you save money or not by switching depends on your unique scenario for your business.
Our retail electricity experts will evaluate your electricity usage pattern to make recommendations and guide you through the switching process.