Looking for a new electricity supplier and cheap electric rates for your CT home or business in the Eversource utility delivery area? ElectricityPlans.com makes it easy to shop the best rates for electricity from top alternative electricity suppliers in Connecticut. Enter your zip code to start shopping.
Publicly traded Eversource (NYSE: ES) is Connecticut’s largest energy delivery company. Headquartered in Hartford and Boston, Eversource serves Connecticut, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts by providing both electricity and natural gas utility services to the region.
Eversource was founded in 2012 as a result of a merger with Northeast Utilities (including Connecticut Light & Power (CL&P), Public Service of New Hampshire, Western Massachusetts Electric (WMECO), and Yankee Gas) and NSTAR Electric & Gas. They rebranded from the Northeast Utilities name to Eversource in 2015. Although Eversource Energy is a relatively new name on the electricity scene in Connecticut, this is not a company that’s new to electric utilities.
Eversource Service Areas
Within Connecticut, they provide electricity transmission and distribution services to almost the entire state. This means they maintain the wires, poles, and electrical infrastructure for most of the state of Connecticut. Their service territory in Connecticut includes 149 towns and covers 4,400 square miles. Cities served include Hartford, West Hartford, Stamford, New Britain, Greenwich, Danbury, and Waterbury.
Eversource Residential Standard Service Generation Supply Rates
Eversource offers a standard service rate for generation to customers who choose to remain with the utility and not select an alternative supplier. The standard service rate changes every six months, January 1st and July 1st. The current standard service generation rates are:
|Eversource Rate Class||July 1 - December 31, 2018|
Generation Supply Rate $/kWh
|January 1 - June 30, 2019
Generation Supply Rate $/kWh
|Rate 7 On-Peak||11.106¢||12.780¢|
|Rate 7 Off-Peak||7.606¢||9.280¢|
Eversource Residential Rate Class (indicated on your electric bill):
- Rate 1 – Non-electric space heating
- Rate 5 – Electric space heating
- Rate 7 – Time of Use: Peak (noon – 8pm weekdays) & Off Peak (8pm – noon + weekends)
- Rate 18 – Controlled water heater
In January 2019, Eversource announced big rate increases. Most consumers in the Eversource area have experienced a 16% increase in their electricity bill starting in January 2019. New rates are announced around 45 days before they become effective.
Because of the rate increases some consumers have decided to shop for an electricity provider and lock in a fixed rate. That’s a smart idea — right now, there are many fixed price offers that are below the Eversource standard service offer rate.
Eversource Business Standard Service Generation Supply Rates
Eversource offers a standard service rate for generation to business customers who choose to not shop for competitive electricity and remain with the utility. These standard service rates are updated on January 1st and July 1st of every year. The current business standard service generation rates are:
|Eversource Business Rate Class||July 1 - December 31, 2018||January 1 - June 30, 2019|
|Rate 27 Peak||11.440¢||12.912¢|
|Rate 27 Off-Peak||8.440¢||9.912¢|
|Rate 37 Peak||11.440¢||12.912¢|
|Rate 37 Off-Peak||8.440¢||9.912¢|
|Rate 41 Peak||11.578¢||13.031¢|
|Rate 41 Off-Peak||8.578¢||10.031¢|
|Rate 55 Peak||11.578¢||13.031¢|
|Rate 55 Off-Peak||8.578¢||10.031¢|
|Rate 56 Peak||11.578¢||13.031¢|
|Rate 56 Off-Peak||8.578¢||10.031¢|
Eversource Business Rate Class (indicated on your bill)
- Rate 27 – Small Business Time of Use: Peak & Off-Peak
- Rate 30 – Small Business
- Rate 35 – Medium Business
- Rate 37 – Medium Business Time of Use: Peak & Off-Peak
- Rate 40 – Small Church & School
- Rate 41 – Large Church & School Time of Use: Peak & Off-Peak
- Rate 55 – Medium Manufacturing Time of Use: Peak & Off-Peak
- Rate 56 – Medium Non-Manufacturing Time of Use: Peak & Off-Peak
Shopping for an Alternative Electricity Supplier in CT
If you have not switched to an alternative electricity supplier for your CT electricity, you are being served on the Standard Service Offer Rate. When you switch to an alternative electricity supplier, you can lock in a fixed rate for your electricity. This way you aren’t subject to the market swings. You can relax, knowing that you have already locked in your rate. Longer term plans of 24 or 36 months often give the best savings on your electricity price.
Ready to shop now for your alternative electricity supplier and get great CT energy rates? All you need is a copy of your bill (for your account information) and your zip code.
Want to learn more? Read our article on How to Shop for an Electricity Supplier in CT.
Eversource Awards & Recognition
Eversource is nationally known as one of the nation’s premiere utilities. They have been recognized twice in the last four years as a top-ranked green utility by Newsweek based on environmental impact. In addition, Business Insider recognized them as a Best Company to Work for in America based on salary, job satisfaction, and high job meaning.
They have received the EPA’s ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Award repeatedly for various home efficiency efforts. Also, Eversource has received numerous Emergency Recover Awards from the Edison Electric Institute for outstanding power restoration efforts in recent storms.
Eversource Energy is an electricity customer-focused Connecticut utility combining technology and experience to anticipate and address problems of all types before they become unmanageable crises. Since their merger, they have invested heavily in infrastructure, automation and people to make this electricity utility more reliable than ever, even during major storms.
Eversource has a plan to prevent and manage all sorts of electricity-related problems. Here are a few ways the Connecticut utility is trying to help before little issues become big electricity outages:
- Financial assistance programs. They recognize the importance of electricity for customers across Connecticut, even if they’re having trouble paying their past due or current bills. That’s why they offer customers a variety of financial assistance plans, as well as weatherization assistance to help reduce future bills.
- Real-time outage tracking. They provide real time outage tracking via an their online outage map as well as online account resources for customers to view their specific outage status.
- Equipment inspections. Besides doing hands-on inspections of equipment on the ground, they monitor equipment from the sky using infrared scanning equipment and helicopter fly-over inspections. This way, trained inspectors can quickly identify problematic equipment even in remote areas of Connecticut that might otherwise not be caught until the grid goes down.
- Improving infrastructure. Electrical hardening, involving replacing old copper wires with thick, rubber-coated wires that are more weather and tree-resistant, and structural hardening, which is the installation of stronger power poles and hardware that’s more durable, are just the beginning of infrastructure improvements they have in progress. Automation investments are also helping to monitor the grid for problems so a repair expert can be notified immediately.
Customers living in areas of Connecticut served by Eversource can select an alternative energy supplier and get excellent CT energy rates. Eversource will continue to serve customers as the local utility and bill customers in the same manner without interruption in service.