Looking for a month to month cheap Texas electricity plan? You’ve found it!
Bulb Energy is a variable rate month to month electricity plan with a special feature. Your rate is fixed all summer long, from June 1 – August 31. Bulb is the first energy provider in Texas to offer a variable rate with price protection during the summer.
Variable vs. Fixed Rate Texas Electricity Plans
We usually recommend fixed price plans for our customers. Because summer electricity pricing in Texas is risky business. Most of the electricity used at home is for your A/C. And when it gets hot in Texas, the electricity usage cranks up — and so do prices. A fixed rate plan gives you price certainty and protection against summer price increases.
But a lot of customers prefer a month to month electricity plan. And with Bulb’s Texas Summer rate lock, there’s finally a variable rate plan that we can recommend.
We give Bulb Energy a strong “two thumbs up” for Texas electricity providers. And here’s why.
Cheap Month to Month Electricity That’s Not Prepaid (Bulb Energy Review)
For consumers that want cheap month to month electricity that’s not prepaid, Bulb delivers. And, for the average Texas electricity consumer? It’s everything that Texas electricity customers have wanted.
- Summer Electricity Rate Freeze. First up, the main event. Bulb’s Summer electricity rate lock. Everyone knows prices are higher in the summer. But Bulb will lock your price from June 1 to August 31. And, they announced a massive price drop at the end of May. They are cheaper than most fixed rate plans on the market. And that rate will be locked all summer long.
- Wholesale pricing without the risk. This is a variable rate, and it will follow the wholesale market. But, if prices need to go up outside of the summer rate freeze, you’ll get 60 days notice. And, if wholesale prices drop (outside the summer season), Bulb may bring your rate down.
- No tricks electricity rates. Bulb only offers one plan. It’s a basic electricity plan with energy + delivery. No gimmicks, no hidden fees.
- No cancellation penalty. This is a variable rate plan. But, you’ll get 60 days notice of any price changes. Plenty of time to decide if you want to switch or stay. Bulb has no cancellation penalty if you leave. Just pay your final bill and switch away if you find a better rate.
- 100% renewable energy. Bulb electricity is 100% renewable energy from Texas. You get 100% Texas solar and Texas wind. All for the same price or less than most other retailers charge for regular brown energy.
- With no contract. You get all these guarantees and benefits, with no commitment. Don’t like it? Leave anytime.
- And, it’s not prepaid! Most month to month electricity plans are prepaid or pay-as-you-go electricity.
Bulb Energy is new to Texas, but they power 1.6 million homes in the UK, Spain and France. You can read more about Bulb Energy in our provider profile.
Oh, and there’s also this, if you want to switch to Bulb Energy:
Locked in a fixed rate contract? Bulb will reimburse you up to $100 if you have to pay an early termination fee. Just sign up, then contact Bulb with a copy of your final bill showing an ETF.
Frankly, we don’t know how the heck they are managing this. They either have the most brilliant wholesale electricity buyers, or they are setting themselves up for a Texas-sized back-hand on their profits this summer.
But no matter! You, the consumer, benefit from their cheap month to month electricity rates and the summer rate lock.
Shop Bulb Energy Texas Electricity
Shopping Bulb Energy is easy, because they only have one product. It’s a simple energy + delivery plan.
Enter your zip code to start shopping Bulb plans. You’ll quickly find that they are one of the cheapest electricity providers in Texas
What are the Requirements to Sign up for Bulb Energy?
Bulb Energy does have a few requirements that you will need to meet.
- Pass a credit check (though from what we’ve seen, their credit score threshold is pretty reasonable.)
- Agree to automatic credit card or debit card payments, or automatic bank draft
- Agree to receive your bill via email
You’ll get a variable rate plan but you actually have a fixed rate from June 1 to August 31. You’ll get 60 days notice of any rate change.
And if you don’t like Bulb and want to leave? No problem. There’s no cancellation fee, since it’s a month to month contract.
Compare Griddy Wholesale Energy vs. Bulb Energy
If you are interested in month to month wholesale energy pricing with no contract, you may have considered Griddy. How does Griddy compare vs. Bulb?
Griddy is a month to month wholesale energy plan where you pay a $9.95 monthly membership fee to get access to wholesale pricing. Your electricity cost will be whatever the wholesale electricity price is at that moment. .
Yes, in the off season you will pay below market pricing with Griddy. But your price will change every 15 minutes.
And are you willing to bet your bank account that the summer will have low prices? Last summer, when wholesale energy prices spikes above $9000/MW multiple times in August, Griddy customers paid the price.
That’s why we recommend Bulb instead of Griddy.
Last summer, we speculated, “Wouldn’t it be cool to have access to wholesale energy prices, but without the risk of a summer bill shock?”
With Bulb Energy, you get the benefits of low pricing, with the price security of a summer price lock June 1 – August 31, and 60 days notice of rate change.
Bulb takes the pricing risk for you. Griddy passes all the pricing risk along to its customers
With Bulb, you can relax and enjoy your summer, knowing you have one of the best and cheapest electricity prices in Texas.