Shopping for the best electric rates in Allentown? With deregulation you can pick your electric generation supplier. But how should you compare offers to find the best rates for you?
Here at ElectricityPlans, we help you find the best electric prices in Allentown for your home or business. Our tools let you compare rates from providers, search by the type of electricity plan and find the best rate for you.
PPL Price to Compare
Allentown’s utility company is PPL Electric Utilities.
PPL maintains the poles and wires, responds in an emergency and issues your bill. You can buy your electricity supply from them at the price to compare. Or you can buy electricity from any of the licensed electricity generation suppliers approved by the PA Public Utility Commission.
The price to compare changes twice a year, in June and December. Choosing a fixed rate electricity plan from a supplier gives you price stability.
Compare Allentown Electricity Rates
|Direct Energy Live Brighter 13||13||9.69 ¢|
|Public Power Electric 10 Month Fixed||10||9.99 ¢|
|Public Power Electric 12 Month Fixed||12||10.09 ¢|
|Energy Harbor Safe Harbor 12||12||10.29 ¢|
|Public Power Electric 18 Month Fixed||18||10.39 ¢|
|Energy Harbor Safe Harbor 24||24||10.69 ¢|
|Direct Energy Live Brighter 12||12||10.99 ¢|
|Energy Harbor Safe Harbor 36||36||11.19 ¢|
|Direct Energy Go Green Lights 24||24||12.09 ¢|
Allentown Electricity Rates by Zip
Types of Electricity Plans in Allentown
Suppliers in the PPL Electric Utilities market offer four types of electricity plans.
- Fixed Rate. Your rate per kilowatt hour (kWh) is fixed for the term of your contract agreement. This gives you price stability.
- Variable Rate. Your rate per kWh will be a low introductory rate. Then each month your rate changes, usually going up every month.
- Green Energy. Fixed rate plan backed by carbon-free electricity or renewable energy certificates. This is a great affordable option if you want to support a cleaner Pennsylvania.
- Unlimited/Flat Bill. You’ll pay the same amount of money each month regardless of how you use. Your supplier will base this on your historical usage. Unfortunately what looks like a great deal usually isn’t. Why? Because people compare it to their highest bill, forgetting how much lower it is in other months.
You’ll compare each of these rates to the PPL Price to Compare to see if you can save.
What is the Best Electric Supplier in Allentown?
The truth is, there is no one best electricity provider in Allentown.
But you should consider what’s important to you when shopping for electricity. Your only interaction with the supplier is the line item on your bill. So what matters are the details of the electricity plan and the electricity rate.
Here are some of the things to look for when you shop for the best electric supplier in PA:
- Rate per kWh. What is the price you are paying per unit of power used?
- Early Termination Fee. If you change your mind or find a better deal, what will it cost you to switch?
- Monthly Fee. Those little fees add up. You’re paying for the electricity per kilowatt hour, and paying delivery and transmission fees. Why pay more each month?
- Contract Term. Contract terms can vary from 12 to 36 months. If prices are low and you think the utility rate will continue to increase, look for a longer term plan with a low or no early termination fee. That way you get a low rate and can switch away at if rates drop.
Each of these factors matter when you are picking the best electricity company for your Allentown home.
But for most people? Best means the plan with the cheapest electricity rate. We cover that below.
How to Find the Cheapest Electricity Rate in Allentown
The best electricity rate in Allentown usually means the cheapest. Here’s our guide to how to shop the cheapest electricity rates in Allentown.
Time needed: 10 minutes
How to find cheapest electricity rates in Allentown
- Search electricity rates by zip code.
Electricity prices vary by utility. In some area, a zip code may even be split between utility companies. But in Allentown, your utility company is PPL Electric Utility.
- Select type of electricity plan.
There are four types of electricity plans that suppliers offer in Allentown: Fixed, Variable, Flat Rate (Unlimited) and Renewable Energy. We recommend Fixed Rate or Renewable Energy electricity plans. Variable rates are risky since they fluctuate with market conditions. And Flat Rate plans often leave you over-paying in some months.
- Sort by price, low to high.
Sort fixed rate and renewable energy plans by price, low to high, to put the cheapest electricity plans on top.
- Review the fine print.
Use our easy plan summary to review details, like the price per kWh, the term, monthly charge and early termination fee.
- Enroll with your new electricity supplier.
Once you’ve selected an electricity plan, enroll with your new supplier. The utility will take care of switching your service. Your new electricity rate will take effect in one to two billing cycles.
TIP: You will need the account number from your bill to enroll with a supplier. Moving and need to set up electricity in your new Allentown home? Call your utility company first to set up service. PPL’s phone number for new service is 1-800-342-5775.
Allentown Electricity Shopping FAQs
According to EIA.gov, the average monthly electricity usage in Allentown is 866 kWh, and annual usage is 10,402 kWh annually. Your electricity usage will vary by the size and age of your home, your personal usage habits and the number of people living in your home.
The average monthly electric bill in Allentown PA is $159.17 This is based on the typical monthly consumption of 866 kWh and the average kWh price of 18.38 cents. (Source: EIA.gov June 2023)
Electricity in Allentown costs 18.38 cents per kWh on average, based on June 2023 data from the Energy Information Administration. That includes the cost of supply, delivery and local assessments. This data includes the price to compare at utilities across the state, so it’s not a fair estimate of what you’ll pay. The better bet? Check rates using an rate comparison shopping site like ElectricityPlans.com.
Business Electricity in Allentown – Commercial Electricity Rates
You can compare electricity rates for your business too. Commercial electricity rates are more complicated than residential rates, especially if you spend over $2,000 a month on electricity. Contract terms, especially early termination penalties, can be complex.