Wilkes-Barre electricity rates are deregulated. But how do you find the best electric rates near you when there are so many providers and plans to evaluate? In this article we’ll give you information on on the utility price to compare, recommendations for the best suppliers and how to compare electricity rates.
Wilkes-Barre Electric Utility Company
The utility company, or electric distribution company, in Wilkes-Barre depends on where you live. You may be served by PPL Electric Utilities or by UGI Utilities, depending on your zip code. And some zip codes are even split by the utility!
Regardless of which utility you are with, you have the power to choose your electricity supplier thanks to deregulation.
If your utility is UGI, there are limited supplier offers, and you should shop on the PAPowerSwitch site.
If PPL is your utility, there are nearly 150 offers to pick from. Using an alternative shopping site like ElectricityPlans.com is the way to go.
What’s My Electric Utility Company in Wilkes-Barre?
- Check your utility bill to see if your electricity utility is UGI or PPL.
- If you are moving to Wilkes-Barre and need to set up electricity, call PPL Electric Utilities first, as they are most likely your utility company. Their customer service number for PPL is 1-800-342-5775.
Compare Wilkes-Barre Electricity Supply Rates (PPL Electric Utilities)
|Direct Energy Live Brighter 13||13||9.69 ¢|
|Public Power Electric 10 Month Fixed||10||9.99 ¢|
|Public Power Electric 12 Month Fixed||12||10.09 ¢|
|Energy Harbor Safe Harbor 12||12||10.29 ¢|
|Public Power Electric 18 Month Fixed||18||10.39 ¢|
|Energy Harbor Safe Harbor 24||24||10.69 ¢|
|Direct Energy Live Brighter 12||12||10.99 ¢|
|Energy Harbor Safe Harbor 36||36||11.19 ¢|
|Direct Energy Go Green Lights 24||24||12.09 ¢|
Shop Wilkes-Barre Electricity Rates
Types of Electricity Plans in Wilkes-Barre
In the PPL Electric Utility area, there are 3 basic types of electricity rates.
- Fixed Rate. Your rate per kilowatt hour (kWh) is fixed for the term of your contract agreement. This helps you avoid frequent utility rate changes. (PPL changes their rate four times a year.)
- Variable Rate. Your rate per kWh will be a low introductory rate. Then each month your rate changes, usually up every month.
- Unlimited/Flat Bill. The same bill amount every month sounds good, but you may pay less with a fixed rate plan. People tend to only of their highest bill when they consider this option, which makes it look affordable.
How to Find the Best Electricity Rate in Wilkes-Barre
The truth is, there is no one best electricity plan in Wilkes-Barre. But this simple step-by-step process will help you find the best electricity rate.
Steps for Electricity Shopping
Step 1: Look at your electricity bill. Are you currently with the utility or a supplier? It will show this on your bill. If you are with a supplier, it should include your contract expiration date.
Step 2: Consider what’s important to you. Do you want contract flexibility? Do you prefer the convenience of a longer-term contract? Or maybe you want to go green with renewable energy? Think of these options before you start shopping.
Step 3: Shop online using an comparison site like ElectricityPlans.com. Simply enter your zip code to view available rates near you. Use shopping tools to select the type of plan and term length. Or simply sort by price to see the cheapest electricity plans.
Step 4: Compare plan features to find the best electricity plan for your home. Make sure you pay attention to these elements.
- Rate per kWh. The rate is what most people focus on. Most consumers look for the cheapest price per kWh. But these other items are important too.
- Early Termination Fee. If you change your mind or find a better deal, what will it cost you to switch?
- Monthly Fee. Those little fees add up. You’re paying for the electricity per kilowatt hour, and paying delivery and transmission fees. Why pay more each month?
- Contract Term. Contract terms can vary from 12 to 36 months.
Step 5: Sign up with your supplier. Once you have picked your electricity rate and plan, simply sign up on the supplier’s web site. Your new supplier will handle everything with your electric utility. Your new rate will start within 3-7 days.
Wilkes-Barre Electricity Shopping FAQs
According to EIA.gov, the average monthly electricity usage in Wilkes-Barre is 866 kWh, and annual usage is 10,402 kWh annually. Your electricity usage will vary by the size and age of your home, your personal usage habits and the number of people living in your home.
The average monthly electric bill in Wilkes-Barre is $159.17 This is based on the typical monthly consumption of 866 kWh and the average kWh price of 18.38 cents. (Source: EIA.gov June 2023)
Electricity in Wilkes-Barre costs 18.38 cents per kWh on average, based on June 2023 data from the Energy Information Administration. That includes the cost of supply, delivery and local assessments. Philadelphia residents can shop for the supply portion of their bill. And you may be able to get a lower energy rate from a competitive energy supplier.
Business Electricity in Wilkes-Barre
You can compare electricity rates for your business too.
Commercial electricity rates are more complicated than residential rates, especially if you spend over $2,000 a month on electricity. Contract terms, especially early termination penalties, can be complex.