Created by the acquisition of Cinergy in 2006, Duke Energy Ohio is a subsidiary of Duke Energy (NYSE: DUK). Duke Energy Ohio boasts approximately 840,000 residential, commercial, and industrial customers in the southwest corner of Ohio. They also provide electricity services in Florida, Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina, and South Carolina. Consumers in Duke can choose a Certified Retail Electricity Supplier (CRES) for their electricity supply.
Duke Energy History
Duke Power was founded in the early 1900s as a small utility in the Carolinas focusing on hydro-powered generating stations. They gradually expanded its generating capacity in the post-WWII era, including its first nuclear project, the Keowee-Toxaway Project, in 1965. Duke Power expanded into the natural gas market in 1997 with the merger of PanEnergy, creating Duke Energy. In 2006, Duke Energy entered the Ohio electricity and natural gas markets by acquiring Cinergy (a rollup of Cincinnati Gas & Electric Co. and PSI Energy Inc.)
Duke Energy Service Areas
Duke Energy Ohio serves the southwest corner of Ohio, covering approximately 3,000 square miles. Major cities include Cincinnati and surrounding suburbs, Hamilton, Bethel, Williamsburg, Middletown, and Georgetown.
Duke Energy Ohio Price to Compare
Duke Energy residential ‘Price to Compare’ (Rate RS) for the generation supply portion of your bill for the period of April 1, 2020 until May 31, 2020 is $.0589/kWh. This is the rate you will pay for electric generation if you do not switch to an alternative electricity supplier. If you have a different rate code or use > 1000 kWh/month during certain months of the year, your price to compare may differ. Refer to your most recent Duke Energy utility bill to confirm your specific price to compare when shopping for an electricity supplier.
Best Duke Energy Ohio Certified Retail Electric Supplier Rates
|Direct Energy||Live Brighter 8||8||4.69 ¢||Details|
|Discount Power||Signature Green 6||6||4.99 ¢||Details|
|Direct Energy||Live Brighter 12 for Veterans & Active Military||12||5.09 ¢||Details|
|Energy Harbor||Exclusive Offer 12||12||5.19 ¢||Details|
|Direct Energy||Live Brighter 18 for Veterans & Active Military||18||5.19 ¢||Details|
|Direct Energy||Live Brighter 12||12||5.29 ¢||Details|
|Energy Harbor||Exclusive Offer 18||18||5.29 ¢||Details|
|Public Power||Public Power Electric 6 Month Fixed||6||5.29 ¢||Details|
|Direct Energy||Live Brighter 18||18||5.39 ¢||Details|
|Public Power||Public Power Electric 12 Month Fixed||12||5.39 ¢||Details|
Shop Duke Energy Ohio Electricity Rates Near You
Awards and Recognition
Duke Energy is a well recognized utility and has been awarded several prestigious awards over the years. Recently, they were recognized by the United Way in North Carolina with the Power of Commitment Award for its investment in expanding the 2-1-1 system. CS Week recently recognized this utility with its Best Mobility Implementation Award for providing customers with automatic outage alerts. In addition, they have been recognized for its workforce diversity by Black Enterprise Magazine and DailyWorth’s 25 Best Companies for Women.
The community of electricity utilities has been changing dramatically since deregulation came to Ohio, and this utility is prepared to stay ahead of market trends. The company is investing heavily into technology to improve electricity customer service for customers, as well as returning more time, energy and money to communities that need it most. This company is focused on the future and its programs demonstrate this commitment.
Here are a few ways Duke Energy Ohio is reinvesting in the Ohio communities they serve:
- Sustainability. Duke Energy publishes an annual Sustainability Report, reaffirming their plans to modernize the power grid, generate clean energy, transform the customer experience, and engage employees. They focus on creating customer value while minimizing environmental impact and providing agile energy services.
- Customer Service. By providing online tools such as calculators, outage maps, and consumer energy savings tips, Duke Energy has leveraged their corporate infrastructure and resources to empower their customers.
- Duke Energy Foundation K to Career Funding. By providing funding to sustainable programs that foster interest in STEM programs and encourage math and science literacy in the areas they service, Duke Energy hopes to produce more skilled labor for local communities who can then help solve issues unique to the areas where the recipients live. It’s a long-term investment that will pay off big as Ohio and other electricity utilities continue to innovate into the future.
- HeatShare. Every winter, this utility contributes $100,000 and matches an additional $100,000 in dollar for dollar matches against customer contributions to create a HeatShare fund for Ohio residents who need help with their winter heating bills. Brutal Ohio winters can be hard for electricity customers, but with HeatShare, there is money set aside to help keep the furnace running.
- Community Development Grants. They offer grants of up to $10,000 for grassroots nonprofit organizations in Ohio that are looking to improve their communities and help meet region-specific needs. They are committed to helping nonprofits fulfill their missions of helping their Ohio electricity customers who may have a lack of support otherwise.
Good utility, good community member. By leveraging their parent company’s services, Duke Energy Ohio is a responsible community steward, provides excellent customer service, and assists customers with energy-saving education and rebates.