Need no deposit electricity in Texas? There are a lot of options for you. You can get same day electricity service with no credit check and no deposit. And you can even get a fixed rate plan!
Learn about your options for no deposit electricity, and get answers on some FAQs about electricity deposits in Texas.
No Deposit Electricity – Fixed Rate or Month to Month
In a hurry? If you need lights on immediately and can’t pay a deposit, we recommend Payless Power. Their 12 month fixed rate plan is an excellent option for prepaid electricity. You’ll get a low fixed electricity rate without the hassle of a credit check. In addition they have a month to month plan if you need flexibility.
Sign Up for Payless Power by Phone!
Shop No Deposit Electricity Plans Near You
Options for No Deposit Electricity for Your Lights
Most Texas electricity companies require a credit score of 580-600 for no deposit electricity. So if your credit score is above 600 you can likely get no deposit electricity from any provider on our site. You can shop any plan on ElectricityPlans.com.
Don’t be afraid to apply for service with ANY of our retailers. After all, every provider gives you options to pay the deposit. Also, some offer deposit alternatives and some will even let you split the deposit on your bill. Your credit will not keep you from getting the best electricity rate for your home.
If you don’t pass a credit check and can’t pay a deposit, you have several options. Here are 4 options when you have bad credit and can’t afford to pay a Texas electricity deposit.
- Prepaid Electricity: With prepaid electricity, you will make a minimal upfront payment as low as $40. You’ll receive text alerts on your daily account balance, and can add money as needed when your balance gets low.
- Deposit Waiver: You can receive a waived deposit if you meet certain qualifications (listed below). Basically, every electricity company in Texas offers deposit waivers. It’s the law.
- Deposit Alternative: Some electricity companies, like Champion Energy, Reliant Energy and Direct Energy, offer a deposit alternative. This is a non-refundable fee that’s around half what a normal deposit is. That allows you to get a competitive rate regardless of your credit score.
- No Credit Check Electricity. No credit check electricity requires a credit card on file, with automatic payments. You’ll pay a much higher rate too.
Don’t fall for the no credit check electricity trick from some providers and shopping sites. In one no credit check “deal” we looked at, the big brand name retailer was charging 60% more for their no credit check deposit waiver auto pay plan compared to their advertised rates. An extra 6.5 cents per kilowatt hour! That is an absolute rip off. Do. Not. Do. That. Instead, use one of the other options we outline here.
Need service right away? You can get same day electricity service from many providers.
Prepaid Month to Month No Deposit Electricity
First lets take a look at prepaid electricity. Prepaid plans do not require a credit check or any form of identification to turn on the lights. Also there’s no deposit.
Customers can get electric service by signing up with an electricity provider that offers prepaid electricity. Then just fund your prepaid account for as little as $40.
ElectricityPlans offers prepaid electricity plans from some of the best providers including Payless Power.
Benefits of prepaid month to month electricity include:
- Everyone is approved instantly.
- Same day service (when you sign up by 4pm)
- No Credit Check, deposit, contract or ID needed!
Active Military Deposit Waiver for Electricity
Houston-based Chariot Energy understands that military families move around a lot, which may affect their credit.
Apply for electricity service with Chariot Energy. If a deposit is required, contact Chariot and provide information about your active duty military service. Your deposit will be waived!
Fixed Rate No Deposit Electricity
Many of our shoppers select Payless Power. They specialize in prepaid electricity plans which they call SmarTricity. You can go with a month to month electricity plan. Or, Payless Power offers a fixed price prepaid electricity plan which protects you from rate increases for one year.
Payless Power Premier 12 is our number one recommendation for prepaid electricity. You can sign up with Payless Power directly by calling 1-866-934-3451.
Benefits of prepaid fixed rate electricity include:
- Everyone is approved instantly.
- Same day service (when you sign up by 4pm)
- No Credit Check, no ID and no deposit
- Fixed rate plan (price protection)
Shop No Deposit, No Credit Check Electricity Plans
Electric Companies that Waive Deposits
If you have a deposit required, you may want to know what electricity companies will waive deposits.
Every TX electricity company is required to waive your deposit if you meet one of these 4 criteria:
- Good payment history. Even if your credit score is low, you may pay your electricity bills on time. If so, the easiest way to get electricity with a waived deposit is to show you have a good payment history with your current company. Just ask your current electricity company for a Letter of Credit showing not more than 1 late payment in the prior 12 months..
- Over 65. If you are over 65, your deposit is waived when you provide proof of your age (driver’s license or state ID) and a copy of your most recent bill showing no past due balance.
- Victim of Family Violence. If you are starting over, you need a safe place. And you shouldn’t have to worry about a deposit. Your deposit is waived with a certified letter for victim of family violence.
- Medically Indigent. If you are medially indigent, you can receive a deposit waiver.
If you are low income you may qualify for a split deposit. A split deposit lets you pay your deposit in two equal installments. You’ll pay the first half of the deposit up front. Then you’ll pay the second half of the deposit on your first bill.
To qualify for a split deposit, you’ll need to send your electric company proof of eligibility, like a state-issued statement of benefits for Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Medicaid, Low-Income Medicare, Texas Aid to Needy Families or SNAP food benefits (formerly known as food stamps)
TIP: If you have a good payment history (item 1 above) you may be able to increase your credit score. Check out our article on Improving Your Credit Score by Using your Utility Bills.
Electric Companies with Deposit Alternatives
Recognizing that it’s hard to come up with a deposit, some providers offer a deposit alternative program.
Some providers will allow you to pay half of the deposit up front, with the other half on your first bill. Other providers, including Champion Energy, Reliant Energy and Direct Energy offer a Deposit Alternative program.
You’ll pay about half what you would pay with a regular deposit. However, it’s a non-refundable one-time charge, not a refundable deposit.
The benefit of this approach? You’ll be able to lock in a great price for electricity with no deposit.
What’s the Minimum Credit Score for Electricity?
Credit score requirements vary by electricity company and are not published. In general, you’ll need a minimum credit score of 580-600 with one of the major credit score companies (Experian, Equifax or Transunion) to get an electricity plan without a deposit requirement.
If your credit score is lower than this, but you pay your utility bills on time, you have a good chance of passing credit with Pulse Power. Pulse uses a utility-bill specific credit check that looks at your payments for water, gas, power and phone.
But know this. If your score is below 600, you are not alone. After all, over 20% of the US population has a credit score under 600. Let’s be real here — everyone needs electricity, and not everyone has $250 or more for a deposit.
No deposit electricity and prepaid electricity are perfect for first time renters, recent graduates, people prefer to pay cash and those with a low credit score.
How Much is a Deposit for Electricity?
The maximum deposit amount for your electricity is controlled by the Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUCT). According to regulations, the deposit can’t exceed “one-sixth of the estimated annual billing,” or 2 months worth of electricity.
With the run-up in electricity rates in 2022, let’s ignore the EIA’s historical rates (EIA) and assume 17 cents per kWh. The average home uses about 1,170 kWh per month. As a result, the average monthly Texas electric bill is around $198.90.
So, the average Texas electricity deposit could be as high as $400.
Many Texas electricity companies assume an average usage for their customers. They set a single deposit amount that they apply to all customers regardless of the customer’s actual usage.
Other electricity companies will ask you about the type of home (house or apartment), square footage or number of bedrooms to calculate your deposit.
How Much are Estimated Electricity Deposits in Texas?
Below are our estimates for deposit based on size of home, assuming the 17¢ per kWh noted above. The best way to find out a deposit amount? Instead of guessing, apply for service and see. Or, go with a prepaid or no deposit electricity option.
- How much is an electricity deposit for an apartment (small)? Assuming a 750 square foot apartment, energy use is around 750 kWh/month, and the average deposit for an apartment could be $225
- How much is an electricity deposit for an apartment (large)? Assuming a 1000 square foot apartment, energy use is around 1000 kWh/month, and the deposit could be $340
- How much is an electricity deposit for a small house? A home around 1800 square feet will use around 1250 kWh/month, and the deposit could be $425.
- How much is an electricity deposit for a large house? A large home around 3800 square feet would use around 2200 kWh/month, and the deposit could be $750. Usage for homes will vary based on the age of the home, insulation, appliances, and how many people live in the home.
No deposit electricity and prepaid electricity plans are available for all major deregulated electricity markets in Texas, including: Dallas, Houston, Fort Worth, Killeen, Corpus Christi, Abilene, Round Rock, Odessa, Galveston, and many more.
We hope this helps you understand a little more about electricity companies with no credit check and prepaid electricity and the ins and outs of deposits for utilities. Happy shopping!