It’s true! There are light companies in Texas with no deposit. You can get same-day month to month electricity service with no credit check and no deposit. You can even get a fixed rate plan! Learn about your options for no deposit electricity, and get answers on some FAQs about electricity deposits in Texas.
Options for No Deposit Electricity for Your Lights
If you have good credit (above 600) you can apply feeling confident that you will be approved for no deposit electricity from any provider. You can shop any plan on ElectricityPlans.com.
Here are options when you have bad credit and can’t afford to pay an electricity deposit.
- Prepaid Electricity – With prepaid electricity, you will make a minimal upfront payment as low as $75. You’ll receive text alerts on your daily account balance, and can add money as needed when your balance gets low. Most of these are monthly electricity plans.
- No Deposit Electricity / No Credit Check– No deposit electricity without a credit check is usually at a higher rate than standard fixed rate plans.
Sometimes your consumer credit score may be low, but you pay your utilities — gas, electricity, water — on time.
If that’s the case you can qualify for a deposit waiver from any electricity company simply by providing proof of your good payment history from your current electricity company. This is called a Letter of Credit. You also have a good chance of passing credit with Pulse Power. Pulse uses a utility-bill specific credit check.
And, if you are over 65 you can be approved with no deposit for any plan, by providing proof of age, and proof of your good payment history.
If you are looking for service immediately, we recommend Payless Power. You’ll get a low electricity rate without the hassle of a credit check.
Sign Up for Payless Power SmartTricity by Phone!
Best No Deposit Electricity Plans in Houston (CenterPoint)
|Payless Power||SmarTricity Easy Choice||1||14.9 ¢||Details|
Best No Deposit Electricity Plans in Dallas/Fort Worth (Oncor)
|Payless Power||SmarTricity Easy Choice||1||14.5 ¢||Details|
Best No Deposit Electricity Plans in Corpus Christi & South Texas (AEP Central)
|Payless Power||SmarTricity Easy Choice||1||15.1 ¢||Details|
Shop No Deposit Electricity Plans Near You
Also learn about Improving Your Credit Score by Using your Utility Bills.
Auto-Pay Deposit Waiver Plans
When you compare power plans, we suggest you stay away from Auto Pay Deposit Waiver plans.
These are plans that sound great, but are very expensive. An Auto Pay Deposit Waiver plan doesn’t require a credit check. Everyone is accepted. But that comes with a high cost.
In one “deal” we looked at in the Centerpoint area, the big brand name retailer was charging 60% more for their no credit check deposit waiver auto pay plan compared to their advertised rates. An extra 6.5 cents per kilowatt hour!
Not exactly cheap electricity or the best electricity plan. Stay away from these plans!
Prepaid Month to Month No Deposit Electricity
Instead, we recommend prepaid electricity plans (also known as “pay as you go electricity”).
Prepaid plans do not require a credit check or any form of identification to turn on the lights.
Customers can get electric service by signing up with an electricity provider that offers prepaid electricity and funding a prepaid account for as little as $75.
No credit check and minimal up-front cost makes getting prepaid electricity a snap.
ElectricityPlans offers prepaid electricity plans from some of the best providers including Payless Power.
Benefits of prepaid month to month electricity include:
- Everyone is approved instantly.
- Same day service (when you sign up by 4pm)
- No Credit Check
- No ID required
- No Deposit
- No Contract
Easy to Shop No Deposit Electricity and Prepaid Electricity
ElectricityPlans makes it easy to shop for prepaid and no deposit electricity plans. When you shop ElectricityPlans, you can choose the types of plans displayed, using the Plan Feature selection buttons.
Shop No Deposit, No Credit Check Electricity Plans
What’s the Minimum Credit Score for Electricity?
Credit score requirements vary by electricity company and are not published. Based on our experience with providers, you will need a minimum credit score of 580-600 with one of the major credit score companies (Experian, Equifax or Transunion) to get an electricity plan without a deposit requirement.
If your score is below 600, you are not alone. Over 20% of the US population has a credit score under 600.
Let’s be real here — everyone needs electricity, and not everyone has $250 or more for a deposit.
That’s why prepaid electricity and no deposit electricity are available. Many retailers (such as Champion Energy and Direct Energy) also have “deposit alternative” programs where you pay a small, non-refundable upfront fee, usually half of what a normal deposit is.
No deposit electricity and prepaid electricity are perfect for first time renters, recent graduates, people prefer to pay cash and those with a low credit score.
How Much is a Deposit for Electricity?
The maximum deposit amount for your electricity is controlled by the Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUCT). According to regulations, the deposit can’t exceed “one-sixth of the estimated annual billing,” or 2 months worth of electricity.
For example, the average Texan pays approximately 11.69¢ per kilowatt-hour (kWh) (October 2018 EIA) and uses about 1,170 kWh per month. As a result, the average monthly Texas electric bill is around $136.77. So, the average Texas electricity deposit is around $270.
Many Texas electricity companies assume an average usage for their customers. They set a single deposit amount that they apply to all customers regardless of the customer’s actual usage. Other electricity companies will ask you about the type of home (house or apartment), square footage or number of bedrooms to calculate your deposit.
How Much are Estimated Electricity Deposits in Texas?
Below are our estimates for deposit based on size of home, assuming the 11.69¢ per kWh noted above. The best way to find out a deposit amount? Apply for service and see. Or, go with a prepaid or no deposit electricity option.
- How much is an electricity deposit for an apartment (small)? Assuming a 750 square foot apartment, energy use is around 750 kWh/month, and the average deposit for an apartment could be $175
- How much is an electricity deposit for an apartment (large)? Assuming a 1000 square foot apartment, energy use is around 1000 kWh/month, and the deposit could be $233
- How much is an electricity deposit for a small house? A home around 1800 square feet will use around 1250 kWh/month, and the deposit could be $292.
- How much is an electricity deposit for a large house? A large home around 3800 square feet would use around 2200 kWh/month, and the deposit could be $514. Usage for homes will vary based on the age of the home, insulation, appliances, and how many people live in the home.
Can a Deposit for Electricity be Waived?
Each electricity company has their own deposit requirements. However, all electricity companies in Texas must waive the deposit if certain criteria are met.
The PUCT provides for several ways you can satisfy the deposit. The primary ways to waive a deposit are:
- Provide a letter of credit from your current electricity company. This letter of credit must show that you have not been late in paying your bill during the prior 12 consecutive months of service, and that you have not had any disconnections for non-payment during that time.
- Provide proof of age and good payment history. A residential applicant is 65 years of age or older can provide a copy of their government-issued ID and a copy of their most recent electricity bill to show on-time payment.
Some providers will allow you to pay half of the deposit up front, with the other half on your first bill. Other providers, including Champion Energy, Reliant and Direct Energy offer a Deposit Alternative program. You’ll pay a smaller amount than a regular deposit. However, it’s a non-refundable one-time charge, not a refundable deposit.
Don’t be afraid to apply for service with ANY of our retailers. ALL of them offer ways to satisfy the deposit, some offer deposit alternatives and some will even let you split the deposit on your bill. Your credit will not keep you from getting the best electricity rate for your home.
No deposit electricity and prepaid electricity plans are available for all major deregulated electricity markets in Texas, including: Dallas, Houston, Fort Worth, Killeen, Corpus Christi, Abilene, Round Rock, Odessa, Galveston, and many more.
We hope this helps you understand a little more about electricity companies with no credit check and prepaid electricity and the ins and outs of deposits for utilities. Happy shopping!