Looking for cheap electricity rates in Dallas? You’re not alone. But with so many Dallas electricity plans, electric rates and providers, it’s hard to know which one to choose.
ElectricityPlans gives you the tools you need to pick the right plan for your home.
Before shopping, it’s helpful to benchmark your electricity rate. Otherwise how will you know if you are getting the best electricity rate in Dallas? So you need to know:
The average electricity rate in Dallas is 15.97¢ per kWh based on rates as of 12/09/2023. That's based on a typical home in Dallas using 937 kWh. The average monthly electricity bill in Dallas is $149.64.
That’s the average rate in Dallas right now. But there are so many electricity plans that beat this rate. You’ll find current Dallas electricity rates below.
Dallas Electricity Shopping
- How to Compare Electric Rates in Dallas
- How to Find the Cheapest Electricity in Dallas
- Dallas Electric Companies
- What’s the Best Electric Company in Dallas?
- Moving to Dallas – Start Electricity in New Home
- Switch Electricity Companies in Dallas
- Power Outage in Dallas
- Dallas Electricity FAQs
- Business Electricity in Dallas – Commercial Electricity Rates
Dallas Electricity Rates & Plans
|4Change Energy Power Maxx Saver 12||12||13.5 ¢|
|Chariot Energy Solarize 6||6||13.5 ¢|
|OhmConnect Energy Connect and Save 36||36||13.6 ¢|
|OhmConnect Energy TexasConnect 19||19||13.6 ¢|
|OhmConnect Energy Connect and Save 24||24||13.8 ¢|
|Chariot Energy Shine 36 (Solar Buy Back)||36||13.9 ¢|
|OhmConnect Energy Connect and Save 12||12||14.1 ¢|
|Chariot Energy EV Ride 24||24||14.1 ¢|
|Cirro Energy Smart Value 24||24||14.1 ¢|
|Chariot Energy Free Nights 24||24||14.1 ¢|
|Chariot Energy Solarize 36||36||14.2 ¢|
|OhmConnect Energy Half Price Nights 24||24||14.2 ¢|
|Gexa Eco Saver Advantage 12||12||14.3 ¢|
|OhmConnect Energy Half Price Nights 12||12||14.4 ¢|
|Discount Power Wise Buy Basic 24 Online||24||14.4 ¢|
|OhmConnect Energy EVConnect 24||24||14.4 ¢|
|TriEagle Energy Savvy Value 12||12||14.5 ¢|
|Rhythm Simply Bright 8||8||14.5 ¢|
|OhmConnect Energy PoolConnect 12||12||14.5 ¢|
|Cirro Energy Smart Simple 24 Online||24||14.5 ¢|
These are just some of the rates available. Compare electric rates in Dallas and shop more Dallas electricity rates by entering your zip code.
Shop Electricity Rates & Plans in Dallas
How to Compare Electric Rates in Dallas
Dallas electricity rates can be confusing. You think you got a great deal, only to find out the rate is higher than what you expected.
That’s because the advertised rates at 1000 or 2000 kWh may be hiding some fine print. That’s the price if you use exactly that amount of power, but if you use more or less than that, you pay a different price. Usually higher than you expected.
We created ElectricityPlans to make it easy to shop. Here are some of the tools that help you compare electric rates to find the cheapest electricity plans.
- You can shop based on your usage, so you know exactly what you will pay per kWh, and the estimated monthly bill. Our Electricity Bill Calculator feature does all the math for you!
- Read one-line summaries of the fine print on each plan. We highlight key items for you.
- You can shop by type of plan. So if you want a tiered rate or bill credit plan, you can find those. But you can also find true fixed rate plans, which is what we recommend for most homes.
New to shopping? Check our full guide on how to shop for an electricity plan in Texas or use the quick guide to shopping below.
How to Find the Cheapest Electricity in Dallas
If you want to find the cheapest electricity rates in Dallas, you should shop by zip code and by your average usage following these easy steps.
TIP: Don’t know your usage? The average home in Dallas uses 937 kWh per month.
Time needed: 10 minutes
How to Find the Cheapest Electricity Rates in Dallas
- Enter your zip code to search for electricity rates by zip.
Your zip code helps determine what rates you are eligible for.
- Enter Your Average Usage
View electricity rates by 500, 1000 or 2000 kWh a month. Or enter your average monthly electricity usage into our Electricity Bill Calculator Tool. You’ll be able to see the average price per kWh for your home and your estimated bill, based on your actual usage.
- Select Plan Type
Pick your plan type, like basic (no gimmick) electricity, free nights and weekends electricity, 100% renewable energy or plans with bill credits / tiered rates.
- Review Plan Details to Find the Cheapest Electricity Rate
We use the information on the energy plan’s Electricity Facts Label to calculate what you will pay based on your usage. We also summarize how the plan works, which is important if you are picking a flat bill or bill credit plan. Pick the electricity plan that gives you the lowest electricity bill.
Dallas Electric Companies
There are two types of electric companies in Dallas and it’s important to know the difference.
There is the utility company that delivers power to your home. And there’s the electricity provider that you purchase power from.
Dallas Utility Company – Oncor
The local Dallas utility company for electricity is Oncor. They deliver power to your home, read the meter, manage local power lines and respond to electrical emergencies and outages.
But you must choose an energy company in Dallas to provide your electricity. You’ll have a choice in electricity provider, rate and plan.
Dallas Electricity Providers
Looking for a list of Dallas electricity providers? Below are the providers that we work with, all of which have passed our review standards.
What’s the Best Electric Company in Dallas?
There are 120 licensed energy providers in Texas, with 50 residential electricity companies in Dallas. That’s a lot to pick from.
The truth is, there is no one best electric company in Dallas.
But we’ve picked out our top recommendations for electricity companies in Dallas based on different plan types.
- Best electricity company for fixed rate electricity plans. Chariot offers consistently low prices with fixed rates and 100% solar energy.
- Best electricity company with satisfaction guarantee Rhythm Energy gives a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. Don’t like them? Leave within 30 days with no early termination penalty.
- Best free nights electricity. Flagship Power has the cheapest free nights electricity plans in Dallas.
- Best prepaid electricity company. Payless Power is the best no-deposit lights company in Dallas because they offer a fixed rate plan in addition to month to month rates.
- Best apartment electricity company. Reliant has some of the best electricity plans for apartments.
These recommendations are based on over 20 years of experience in the Texas deregulated electricity market. We have personal experience with these companies and base this list on our review or their rates and plans.
Moving to Dallas – Start Electricity in New Home
If you are moving to a new home in Dallas, whether renting or buying, you need to start electricity in your new home before you move in.
In fact, if you are renting, your leasing agent or landlord may require proof of electricity service before you get the keys to your place!
Most areas of the country have regulated utilities, with no choice of provider. Texas electricity is deregulated, and you must choose a provider. Oncor, the Dallas utility company, will deliver power to your home no matter what provider you choose.
To start electricity in your new home, first enter your zip code at ElectricityPlans.com. Then enter your estimated monthly usage to see accurate bill estimates for each plan.
You can get the average electricity info from your landlord or prior home owner. Or, just use the average electricity usage in Dallas, with is 937 kWh monthly. Shopping with usage helps you find the cheapest electricity plan.
Once you’ve picked your electricity plan and electricity company, choose “Move in” during the enrollment process. Then select the start date for service.
Need service in a hurry? Here’s information on same day electricity service.
TIP: Moving within the Dallas area? If you currently have Oncor as your utility company, you can take your electricity plan with you as a transfer of service. Or if rates have fallen since you last shopped, you can cancel your current service with no early termination fee.
Switch Electricity Companies in Dallas
When your contract is expiring, your electricity company will contact you with a new renewal offer.
Don’t take the renewal offer. At least, don’t just click the renewal link without shopping first.
We recommend that you compare Dallas electricity rates every time your contract expires. Because most electricity providers offer the best rates to new customers.
Here are tips to help you find the best rate when you switch electricity companies:
- Shop based on your usage. Don’t look at the advertised rate (usually at 1000 or 2000) and think that’s what you’ll pay. Shop with your usage to see your estimated bill amount and rate.
- Shop ahead of time. Don’t wait until your contact has expired before you shop. In fact, if your contract expires in the summer months, we recommend you start shopping 60 days ahead of time. Just remember to pick a start date equal to your expiration date.
- Select a basic fixed rate plan. With all the different types of plans offering bill credits, tiered rates, free power, it’s easy to get confused. Based on the thousands of bills we’ve reviewed, basic fixed rate plans are best for most everyone.
- Evaluate all parts of the electricity plan. Most only look at the rate. But you should also consider the term, termination fee and type of plan.
TIP: Sign up for our free electricity plan contract reminder service, so you don’t forget to shop!
Compare your current rate to the average electricity rate in Dallas, which you’ll see below. How does your rate stack up?
Average Electricity Rate & Electric Bill in Dallas
- Average electricity rate in Dallas : 16.04¢ per kWh
- Average electricity usage per month: 937 kWh
- Average electricity bill in Dallas : $150.29
Power Outage in Dallas
Power outages in Dallas are usually caused by weather events or electrical infrastructure failure (like area transformers.)
If you have lights out in Dallas, here’s how to check when the power will be back on:
- You can view current outages, report a power outage or check outage status on the Oncor website.
- Sign up for My Oncor Alerts to get outage notifications for your home, and power restoration times.
Need to report a power outage in Dallas? Here are 4 ways to report your power outage:
- Call 888-313-4747
- Text OUT to 66267 and follow instructions
- Download the MyOncor app and follow instructions
- Report a power outage online
Dallas Electricity FAQs
Here are answers to some common questions in Dallas electricity.
The average home in Dallas uses 11,244 kWh a year or 937 kWh per month. Your usage will vary based on the size and age of your home, the number of people in the home and how you use electricity.
You can save money on your Dallas electricity bill by (1) picking the cheapest energy plan for your home and (2) implementing energy conservation tips.
Compare Electricity Providers in Dallas
Business Electricity in Dallas – Commercial Electricity Rates
Commercial electricity rates in Dallas are deregulated. If your business spends less than $2500 monthly for electricity you can shop business electricity rates online.
Or you can call us at 844-214-5559 Monday-Friday for a custom business electricity quote for larger business or for a same day electricity move-in.
Commercial Electricity Rates per kWh in Dallas
|Reliant Business Power Plus 36 Months||36||9.50 ¢|
|APG&E APG&E 6 Months||6||6.91 ¢|
|APG&E APG&E 60 Months||60||7.40 ¢|
|ENGIE 60 Months||60||7.47 ¢|
|APG&E APG&E 48 Months||48||7.57 ¢|
|ENGIE 48 Months||48||7.60 ¢|
|Green Mountain Energy 60 Months||60||7.66 ¢|
|Green Mountain Energy 6 Months||6||7.68 ¢|
|ENGIE 6 Months||6||7.70 ¢|
|APG&E APG&E 36 Months||36||7.75 ¢|
|Green Mountain Energy 48 Months||48||7.79 ¢|
|ENGIE 36 Months||36||7.80 ¢|
|APG&E APG&E 18 Months||18||7.84 ¢|
|ENGIE 18 Months||18||7.90 ¢|
|APG&E APG&E 24 Months||24||7.94 ¢|
|Green Mountain Energy 36 Months||36||7.96 ¢|
|ENGIE 24 Months||24||8.03 ¢|
|Green Mountain Energy 18 Months||18||8.15 ¢|
|Green Mountain Energy 24 Months||24||8.18 ¢|
|APG&E APG&E 12 Months||12||8.19 ¢|
Shop Business Electricity Rates in Dallas
Electricity Rates by Dallas, Texas Zip Codes