In Texas, you can get a special veteran energy rate or active service military electricity discount. Military discount electricity is available from electricity providers. Plus you may qualify for a deposit waiver!
Military Discount Plans for Veterans & Active Military
There are discounts available for veterans, active duty, military reserves, or military-dependent spouses.
At ElectricityPlans.com you can shop and compare electricity plans with special pricing for veterans & active military. These specially-priced discount plans range in length from 12 – 24 months. That lets you lock in a rate and not worry about it. And if you get transferred elsewhere before the end of your electricity contract? No problem – just let your provider know you’re moving and they’ll waive the early termination penalty.
You may need to provide proof of your military service to qualify for these rates. This could include providing a copy of your military identification or discharge date.
Companies with Military Discounts on Electricity
There are two Texas electricity companies that offer military discounts on electricity, or special military benefits.
- Veteran Energy offers a discount off every plan they offer, plus gives a percentage of profits to Veterans programs.
- Chariot Energy offers a deposit waiver for Active military. There is no special discount, but you can compare their electricity rates and see that they are very affordable.
Is Military Discount Electricity Worth It?
Programs that honor the military are great. But we would be doing you a disservice if we didn’t point out that the best deals are not these discount programs. You can often find a cheaper price without the discount applied.
Military discount programs give you a small discount. But your best bet for cheap electricity? Is to shop for the cheapest fixed rate electricity plan. You can shop for electricity rates by zip code by entering your info below.
Shop Low Cost Electricity Plans Near You
Bases in Texas with Deregulated Electricity
If are active or retired military and live near any of these Texas bases, you are in an area with deregulated electricity. That means you need to shop for an electricity provider.
- Fort Hood, Killeen, Texas (Read our full guide on Ft. Hood and Killeen Electricity Shopping)
- Fort Wolters, Mineral Wells, Texas
- Dyess Air Force Base, Abilene, Texas
- Goodfellow Air Force Base, San Angelo, Texas
- Laughlin Air Force Base, Del Rio, Texas
- Sheppard Air Force Base, Wichita Falls, Texas
- Corpus Christi Naval Air Station, Corpus Christi, Texas (Read our full guide on Corpus Christi Electricity Shopping)
- Naval Air Station Kingsville, Kingsville, Texas
- Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth (Carswell AFB), Fort Worth, Texas
- Grand Prairie Armed Forces Reserve Complex, Grand Prairie, Texas
- Hensley Field, Grand Prairie, Texas
- Camp Bowie, Brownwood, Texas
- Coast Guard Air Station Houston, Houston, Texas
- Coast Guard Sector Field Office Galveston, Galveston Texas
- Coast Guard Station Aransas, Port Aransas, Texas
- Coast Guard Station Freeport, Surfside Beach, Texas
- Coast Guard Station Port O’Connor, Port O’Connor, Texas
- Coast Guard Station Sabine Pass, Port Arthur, Texas
- Coast Guard Station San Luis Pass, Galveston, Texas
- Coast Guard Station South Padre Island, South Padre Island, Texas
Stretch Your Basic Allowance for Housing
Utilities (electricity, water, natural gas) are an estimated 5-10%* of your budget. If you live off-base, your BAH is supposed to cover not only your rent, but also your utilities. The information below can help you budget for your Texas utilities as part of your BAH.
The average Texan pays approximately 11.7¢ per kilowatt-hour (kWh) (December 2020 EIA) and uses about 1,170 kWh per month. That means your monthly Texas electricity bill will be around $136.89.
So you can budget, here are approximate electricity usage and cost for various home sizes in Texas:
- Small Apartment (750 sq feet) = 750 kWh/month, $88/month
- Two bedroom apartment (1000 sq feet) = 1000 kWh/month, $117/month
- Small house (1800 sq feet) = 1250 kWh/month, $146/month
- Large house (3800 sq feet) = 2200 kWh/month, $257/month
Just enter your zip code at the top of this page to start shopping for discount electricity in your area.
Also look into a discount on military moves. Your service is rewarded with military discounts!